View Single Post
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:53 PM   #5
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgithens View Post
So for us on the verge of pulling the trigger... how much would you approximate you had to spend to "complete the kit"?

Thanks for putting this together, VERY informative. If a picture is worth 1000 words, how many words is a video worth!!
I spent a lot more time because I was shooting the video. If I forgot to film something, sometimes I would have to rip everything apart and start over. When I figured out I had messed up on the fuel pump inlet connections, I gave up and just made the addendum instead of redoing everything for the video.

I said above that there were two stages, but after thinking about it, I realize now there are three. Bungs, throttle body and final install.

The trick is to have everything you need before you start. Not everything comes with the kit. So there will be a few trips to the hardware store and other places.

In addition to the time taken by making the video, I spent a great deal of time figuring things out, building it that way, figuring out that it doesn't work well that way, and then figuring out something new. With the video, I show the final version of a method that is proven to work. If I get a second kit for my second bike, then once I have all the parts, I could probably have it installed in a few hours minus the bungs.

The bungs are special. The header pipes have to be sanded clean of any rust and to do that you need the front cowling off. But then to fit the nut, you need the cowling back on. Then to remove the headers, the cowling has to come back off as well as the mufflers. Also, during welding of the bungs, you need to be concerned about warpage of the header so it needs to be done such that warpage is at a minimum. And then the headers, mufflers and cowling have to go back on. If you do the install all at the same time, having the cowling off makes it easier to install the O2 sensors into your freshly welded bungs.

Bottom line, unless you are in a big hurry, I suggest building it in separate stages.