View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #13
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanDog View Post
Bring a flashlight and check the inside of the fuel tank very carefully for rust. If it has any, just pass. And if this guy hasn't rebuilt the carbs himself or knows for sure that the previous owner rebuilt them... just pass or expect to rebuild them. Of course if you want to clean the tank and rebuild the carbs, you could offer him something low.

Also any sort of exhaust/intake mods can really lean out the carbs. They are known for having a midrange flat-spot. Make sure you test ride it dead cold, don't let the guy warm it up before. Then ride it till it is hot and make sure it idles well.

I've been riding mine for about a month now since getting it all sorted out (6 months!) and still a bit on the fence. It's fun but now I'm in the mode where I think the suspension needs a few tweaks, not sure I want to keep investing more money in it. I wanted it for a track bike but I'm going to be so busy this year I don't think I'll have time. I actually have it posted on CL for $2400, which I know is high, but sort of waiting for the right buyer.

Hope that helps!
Hmm, he said he would fill the tank when I came to see it, would I still be able to spot rust with a full tank? Would the rust be visible right at the filler opening?

You read my mind on testing it cold, I want to know if it has a hard time starting or not.