View Single Post
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #29
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Their guidance is better than nothing, but it's still pretty vague. Use from from 32 - 42, and rear from 36 - 42, no matter which of their tires you're using, and no matter which bike they are on.

I don't think I'd want to run them even at 32/36 on such a light bike.
I think their tire pressure recommendations have more to do with overall weight thresholds than individual bike weight.

Dunlop also recommends the following guidelines:

For touring motorcycle loading
A. Light loads-single rider with some luggage (up to 200 lbs total) - minimum tire pressure of 32 psi front and 36 psi rear must be maintained.

B. Heavier loads-dual riding and/or luggage (from 200lb. Total up to maximum motorcycle capacity stated in the owner's manual - pressure of 36 psi front and 40 psi rear must be maintained.

For any dual riding or fully loaded use, 40 psi must be maintained in all Dunlop rear tires fitted to touring motorcycles.

Continental Tires recommends 2.3 bar (33 psi) for their 110/70/17 tires.

I guess it comes down to what works best for your bike, tires, rider and riding style. My 375 lbs bike can turn into 629 lbs with me fully geared full tank bag and a small luggage bag. To me, that's a little more weight than normal for 28 psi.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote