View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #82
accident-prone

Yes. Thank you for your confidence in what I was saying.

Dealer checked it out top to bottom. Had the lightest guy at the shop test it - he's 135lbs and didn't have a problem. With gear it's probably the perfect bike for a rider of that size. Found out the stock rear shock is for someone who is 142lbs and they don't make a softer spring for it. The ride was a little smoother than it has been riding out to the dealership, and I realize I was riding with 10 or 12lbs on my back, bringing me up to 120lbs. It still was super stiff, but not nearly as bad. Amazing that that little weight makes such a big difference on these little bikes. I did some more reading on it at the shop, and indeed, all the good reviews are from riders who found the older 250 shock bottomed out - I found the older 250 shock to be everything I needed.

So, as I said previously, I need an aftermarket shock for the newer 250. If anyone knows of one used, please let me know - as the only one that is aftermarket and under $900 (progressive) is a linear move to what I have...as are the stock newer 250 shocks on ebay. The older ones bolt differently and I'm pretty sure won't fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorguy View Post
I hope to hear what the final result of this is...whether there is really a shock issue, another issue causing the "shaking", or is it just a relatively stiff suspension with a 110 pound rider? I weigh 190, have the rear shock set in position 2 and I think it is relatively stiff. Which I think is a good thing for this bike. But I come from a dual sport background. If I weighed 110 and was in the lightest position (1) would the relative stiffness be the same or close? I can see how, at speed, she feels the ride is a little too firm.....her complaint is only at high speed, which could be difficult for her Kawi service dept. to duplicate..........