View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #32
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
You make a very small target for radar. I think (educated guess) they can't hit you at 1/4 the range they can light up a car.... so in that extra distance you should be able to bleed of your excess speed before they can light you up. If you can't you were prolly just going too fast anyway.
This isn't the case. The radar is more than sensitive enough to pick out a motorcycle from well out of sight range. The limiting factor is in fact that sight range, as the LEO needs to be sure that they are tagging the correct vehicle. The radar units all have features to pick out the fastest target as well, not just the strongest one; so a speeding motorcycle coming past a slow moving truck is still vulnerable to showing up correctly on the radar unit's display.

Plenty of room on the RT:

Mounted it on a stalk on my older RT (and K):

On my R6 from a few years back; crowded with GPS + radar:

On my ZX-12R; put a remote display in the dash to put it more into my line of sight. Still wasn't a great solution; Rojo is right that without an audio alert in the helmet, you might miss the alert for the few seconds that would have been necessary to save you.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote