View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #29
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

A lot of people are against a louder than stock exhaust and to me, that just doesn't make any sense. How is being more noticeable a bad thing? Just because your exhaust is a bit louder doesn't mean you're going to ignore other techniques to be more noticable. Reliance isn't a concern. If you know how to ride correctly, you know how to be visually noticed for the few who check their mirrors. You'd do this with or without a loud exhaust....

You can still hear the bike behind you, just not as well as you would next to you or in-front of you. Besides, even if you could only hear it next to you, it would help reduce drivers changing into your lane.

It is a safety feature because, again, many people don't check their mirrors or use indicators. You could be wearing a neon red tron jacket at midnight and some drivers still won't see you. If you're riding a stock exhaust (even my 636), a modern car next to you WILL NOT hear you. It's not a guaranteed deterrence, but if can ONLY help.

The only real argument one could possible make is in a situation where people get overly loud obnoxious exhausts. Those can just damage hear and disrupt others. If anyone can make a logical argument that an aftermarket exhaust is MORE DANGEROUS than a silent stock one, I'm all ears. So far, there aren't any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroblade View Post
A friend took my bike for a spin and that was the first time I actually paid attention to the sound. Its really different when you're on it.
It's amazing how little you can hear a stock exhaust when you're not on the motorcycle.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote