View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #36
toddblue68
ninjette.org member

Name: Toad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by rPanda View Post
Where does this idea come from? I see it a lot but I feel that me on a 600 is going to be faster through a twisty section than me on a 250. Do riders that track their 250s and 600s really get better splits through chicanes and the like on the 250?

250s are light and flickable yes...but if you pass somebody in the twisties on a 250 and they are on a 600 this seems like this is more a function of rider skill.
Skill is the point in the corners. Any monkey can twist the throttle on a sportbike in a straight line and reach light speed. Nor would it apply to any section of a track where speeds are over 100mph. But reigning in a monster from mid-to-high triple digits down to 50mph, tipping it in, holding that 100-150 hp in check while leaned over for a 360 double apex (with off camber exit), then not high-siding coming out of the corner takes a little more skill than doing the same turn on a 250. Differences being you won't be entering over 100mph (or much). Maintenance throttle on 27hp is easy. And unless it's wet in spots, the rider hits the brakes, or drops down a gear, I don't think a 250 is as likely to high side. With less mass and lower COG, the rider hanging off helps keep the bike more upright at similar corner speeds. It's just easier to go faster in corners on lighter, lower powered bikes.

Not to mention, it really is a lot of fun. Now, if you weight more than 160lbs and have stock 250 suspension, YMMV.
toddblue68 is offline   Reply With Quote