View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #1
Ash
ninjette.org member

Name: Ash

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Noob drops bike :(

Hello Guys,

Everything is okay now. I will be staying with my gf for a while.

I finished the MSF BRC in the middle of March, and picked up my '08 Ninja 250 the next day, so I am pretty much a noob.

I just wanted to get it off my chest that around midnight last night I lost control of my motorcycle going into a turn. I am not sure what happened - I guess I panicked when I thought I was going into the turn too fast and tried to brake during the turn. That is a TOTAL guess because it happened in a blink of the eye. It wasn't even that fast, I think I was surprised that I fell.

When I tried to pick the bike up I knew I was hurt - something in my shoulder area hurt a lot. My sis-in-law picked me up and helped me gather my stuff and move the bike off the road. My gf took me to the ER. An X-ray showed that I had a broken left collarbone. I have a big bruise on my left hip and a small abrasion near my left elbow.

Thank god for all the gear. My helmet hit hard, the shoulder armor and elbow armor in the jacket (First Gear Mesh Tech) must have absorbed most of the damage, The overpants (Tourmaster Flex) had foam padded hips and knee armor which had abrasions on the material so I'm sure that the armor also absorbed a lot of the damage on my left leg. They gave me a percocet for the pain and immobilized my left arm in a sling.

Today I had the bike towed to the shop, no info yet on cost of towing or extend of damage. In the dark last night I saw that left side blinkers were gone, the shift assembly was dangling and that the shogun frame slider and bar end was heavily abraded. It was hard to see, there was mud covering parts of the bike.

My gf took me to the orthopedist in the afternoon, I am now in a figure 8 brace that pulls my shoulders back. As breaks go, the doc said the bones are still aligned, with a small chip - surprising given my age (41). If all goes well he feels I should have full recovery with no deformation of my shoulder area and with full range of motion. I need to wear the brace for 4 to 8 weeks, and I need my gf to help me put it on. The good news is that because the bones are aligned I feel little pain when I am in the brace so I should be able to get by with just Motrin and not need to get the percocet.

I just wanted to give you guys an update to help me work through what happened. I took off work today to see the doc, and my boss said it is okay to work from home for a couple of days for the inflammation to go down. Then I can give driving a try. The brace really helps free my left arm up some so I can still do some stuff.

It would have been nice to have had a camera on me like in the group ride video so I can at least learn from this incident. Right now I am just guessing.

Thanks for "listening"
Ash
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote