Old April 11th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #158
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
What are some things a rider should tell a passenger before having them on back? I know the obvious ones, lean with me, don't dismount the bike until I give the go-ahead, but what are some others?
Have him use the tank to brace himself during braking, or else you'll end up with and extra ton of weight on your arms and you'll end up doing push ups and trying to control the brake still.

Have him squeeze your hips with his knees, and keep even weight on both pegs. If he starts shifting weight between his feet, the whole bike will lean unexpectedly. It's the same idea as carrying someone on the pegs of a bmx bike.

Overall, just tell him to relax and have fun. The sooner he gets over the terrified stage, the better. I've ridden pillion a few times. The first time I did it, I was terrified. Now, it's kinda fun. ...in a strange way...

EDIT: leaning with you is good. Just make sure he does it BEFORE the turn, or else you get the extra lean mid-turn that GreenNinja is talking about. Leaning with it is always good.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote