View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2013, 06:39 AM   #114
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by drphils87 View Post
Yeah it's crooked as hell. What's a blob seal? I took the fitting out and pt the weld on the thread and screwed it back in and then put some more around it. Tried to upload pictures from my phone. No dice. Everything is going wrong. I wish I had a pregen.
A blob seal is when people put sealer, in this case JB-WELD, on the seams rather than between the two mating surfaces. In other words, on the outside of the threads rather than on the threads themselves. The bottom line is that a blob seal will always leak.

If you put it on the threads, it might seal OK. A picture would be helpful. If its solid enough you might leave it. However, know that JB-WELD does not stick to aluminum that well.

If it leaks, then you need to get the part out. You can try soaking that end in acetone to see if it will get loose enough to remove it. Otherwise, you'll have to remove it by force. Then re-tap it and start over.

I'm still not sure how you managed to get it cross threaded in the first place. I'm thinking that you got a straight barb with some oddball thread instead of 1/8" NPT. I've seen some of them that are similar size but are machine threads. Those wont work. Is it possible you got one of those by mistake?