View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:50 PM   #43
mike12
ninjette.org member

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Restricting the blood flow using a torniquet is strictly forbidden in first aid here, the complete stopping of blood causes the pressure to build up and the blood become toxic, it will then travel back up and can kill the person, or travel back up and damage the blood vessels.

Most cases of clean cuts, fingers, arms legs etc when gone into shock the body has a remarkable way of reucing the blood flow to the limb where blood loss is actually minimal, this must have been a very nasty cut to the femoral artery for him to die of blood loss, but a relativly quick death.

What should have been done, while torniquets are VERY badly frowned upon, the correct method is to raise the wound above heart level, and apply pressure to the wound.

I'm a member of st johns ambulance, trained in emergency first aid and insured up with them incase anybody decides to sue my first aid attempts up to a million pounds. I highly recomend this course, or equivilant for your country.

Have you ever seen a femoral artery get severed wide open? I have and it will squirt blood up to 7 feet and an injured persons heart can elevate up to 170+ bpm, no amount of elevation or direct pressure can fix this. I can read anything a few Dr's put out as being the best treatment but it doesn't make it the best option.

P.S. this is America tourniquets are smiled upon. ask a marine if he'd rather you elevate his leg or slap on a tourniquet
mike12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.