View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #8
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaero View Post
Thanks all for the replies! I am going to change the oil on it as soon as possible. I bought Synthetic 10W-40 Mobile 1 Motorcycle oil (says 4T Racing) and a Fram CH2012 filter.

I have a couple more questions, couple related to other issues with the Ninja:

Where is the oil filter located?

The chain looks really dry. Does the 2004 model require chain lube? I bought some Champion chain lube and some Due Pont Motorcycle chain degreaser to clean it with. A friend told me to check with Kawasaki to see if that is a chain that needs to be lubed every so often. He lubes his but its a 2012 model.

The Ninja will not idle unless choke is on. I warmed her up and turned off the choke, kept it throttled up to 8k for a few seconds (no choke!). Let go of throttle and she sputtered, choked, chucked and tried to idle but died in only a few seconds. I read elsewhere that I should toss some Seafoam into the tank. However they don't mention how much to use or if I should have a full or empty tank. All I know is that it fixed their similar issue. I also read people cleaning out the jets (which is what Seafoam does) or adjusting the idle screw fixes the issue. I really don't want to touch the idle screw.

Does it not allow you to shift up while standing still? It goes into first fine. Has a great "friction zone" for the clutch (way better than the safety course bike I used this weekend to get my MSC certification, I hated that bike with a passion). But when I click it up it only goes into neutral and won't go up to 2nd. I have not rode it yet to see if it will shift up while rolling (don't want to drive it with the idle issue).

I anticipated the bike would have a few kinks to work out.
Id clean the carbs work on the valves and clean all the oil up then you can. change the oil and change the coolant. leave all plastic off start it up sync the carbs. after all this is done then take it for a ride around the block with no plastic on. bring it back home and finding the leak will be simple.