View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #31
SafetyPaws
ninjette.org member

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
The worst situation for bike-only Florida rider are the electric storms of the summer.
They can mess your schedule up (if you choose to wait as you should).

Regular storms have the inconvenience of making you arrive to class half or fully soaked, unless you have a place to change or to leave your soaked gear at.

The real danger of both types of storms are the Floridian drivers around you, who tend to go absolutely stupid or crazy when routine conditions change
What does the electrical storms cause? Just incase lightning strikes?

I am in MI and if a single drop of rain hits the floor - the cagers go Bananas!!! I AVOID all Freeways when it rains.

--So I am 1989 and I got my license somewhere around 18 or so had drivers permit for ever. I did not get a car up until April of 2011 or so. Before i use to get dropped off -basically only drove when parents or bro/sis were tired and did not want to drive. I hated getting dropped off and no one ever picked me up on time when i got out of class. We had my bros first car a 95 Camaro that sat in our garage for 4 years - was in a hit and run and had some body damage. He drove before it was unreliable for him (driver door did not open due to accident, frame was bent, and did driver window did not shut so i was always just as wet in camaro - i had piles of spare towels to sit on so my butt /back dont get wet). I got it started, put a battery in it and drove it for literally April through July of 2011 before i realized that the GAS was a bitch.

I bought a ninja and rode that up until october - think put it away on Halloween 2011. Drove Camaro for winter and the Ninja would probably be better. I would fish tail and spin out all the time. I drove that when it rained but then last spring the wiper motor broke and i had no know how to fix it - i tried replacing it but it was in awkward position, it was to expensive in labor to take somewhere and some friends tried changing it for me with no success. Before that i had to buy a new tire and an alternator. So after that i rode my ninjette in the rain basically. I drove in really heavy rains which was probably not the smartest but i had to get to my destination. Luckily each time i drove in the heavy rain in which a change of clothes was necessary i was headed home.

I got a new job and luckily one of my managers picked me up all winter pretty much and took me home. My family had a very hectic work/school schedule and i was not able to entirely rely on them. If i did not land this job and have this amazing friend to take me to work i would have been trapped. MI blows - its not the ice or the snow i am worried about but mainly the salt and drivers, it has to be difficult for a bike, let alone a ninjette during full MI winters. Cold did not bother me, you get used it pretty quick. Oct-Nov was like 20-30 deg riding not including windchill. I just doubled up on hoodies and extra jeans.

I recently sold my Camaro a few months ago and I miss it already - almost. I use to drive my car when it rained in the morning then in the PM getting out of work/school i take the T-Tops down and cruise in the sun. I was not able to do that this year but IMO i think I need a car even at the extra expense of the extra cost + extra insurance. For work one of my Bosses told me the bike is great but without a car - i may be in trouble. I was almost never late except when it rained which i was always late because of traffic. I only got away with this at work bc MI drivers are probably stupider than Floridians and everyone else in office was late and i would be there before everyone.

I am currently Car shopping now and having a HELL OF A TIME finding something that i like. And i am only doing this for reliability. If cost is a factor get a beater - that is what everyone keeps telling me. But i do not like paying for junk. I would like something that i do not have to pour $$$ in. My problem is i compare everything to my ninjette which i love. I am in an endless loop of which do i want Fast -> Cheap -> Quality, you cant have all 3 with a car - with a Ninjette i think it meats all of the three criteria.

I wish i would have my bike my first 3 years of school and first year of work. Florida vs MI example, That is just my quick experience, i know it is probably long but i hope it helps you with your decision.