View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #38
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

I only have motorcycles. No cars or trucks, and I don't miss either of them.
I ride my ninja 250 everywhere I go. Rain or Shine...

Here are some tips if you intend to go the bike only route from someone who has honestly done it, and been doing it for many years.

1. Maintain your bike! When the weather gets lousy, you need your bike to be in 100% shape. Good tires, lubed chains, good brakes.

2. Get good rain gear. I use froggtoggs, but there are other suitable brands out there. Whatever you choose, you should get something that keeps you 100% dry. I can put on regular clothes, and go riding in a torrential downpour and arrive completely dry.

3. Get a tankbag and saddlebags for your bike that are removable. You will need these for trips, or when you need to transport lots of stuff from the store.

4. Get a good backpack. I have a backpack on my back nearly everytime I ride. Its a convienient place to stuff things during your travels. Spend the money on a good one that is comfortable, and not too big or small, something in the 8-15 Liter range. If you can find one that is waterproof...even better. And when I say waterproof, I mean waterproof....you should be able to toss it in a river and not have anything get wet.

5. In the tail of your bike, always carry a toolkit, and one of those sports backpacks with the drawstrings.

6. During the summer months when it gets hot, if you intend to go ATGATT, then you will need a way to stay cooled off. There are a couple of tricks I'd recommend. FroggToggs Chilly pad - basically a towel that you wet with water and gets cold as it evaporates. Wrap it around your neck or down your shirt, and its like airconditioning. You can recharge it with water in a sink nearly anywhere. Camelbak in your backpack - rehydrate constantly.
and Mesh or ventilated jackets.

As far as weather issues....unless you live in the north where there is snow and ice on the ground half the year, there is no reason not to go motorcycle only. Rain is not a ride stopper. You have to learn how to ride in the rain. Slow down a bit, learn how to brake properly(two brakes), and learn what to avoid like big puddles, greasy intersections, storm drains, etc. Spend on good gear, its critical. Leather gloves are great most of the time, but suck when its raining. Get waterproof gloves and boots.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.