View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac View Post
Here we go again....................

My advice........ Dont take advice from a guy who has totaled two bikes in less than a year due to improper braking technique.

Once you have been riding for 4-5 years and have 50-60 thousand miles under your belt then you should decide if you want to use the rear brake during panic stops............ Until then use the rear brake.

As a new rider I implore you to use both brakes. Every study posted, every test done has proven your stopping distance will be shorter using both brakes.
You can repeat falsehoods as often as you want, it doesn't make them true. Repeatedly, motorcycle testers get shorter distances on emergency stops with short wheelbase sportbikes using only the front. When you're dropping a ton of speed in a straight line with the front at the edge of lockup, the rear isn't going to save inches, let alone feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
+1....

Even of if you're locking up your rear brake, it's at least helping you slow down a bit and causing little danger.
Sorry, but you're incorrectly assessing the risk. What more typically happens is that a newer rider locks up the rear, starts to feel the bike getting out of shape, and lets off pressure on the front brake; greatly extending the stopping distance to keep the bike from tipping over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
Rear break lockups typically result in "fish tailing" while front wheel lockups feel like the front wheel fell out from underneath you.

My first front lockup I caught as well. I didn't know what happened until after I let off the brake, it was only instinct that caught me, something I surely learned from riding bicycles so much as a child.
Yes - generally rear lockups provide a few more milliseconds of time to recover if they are sensed soon enough, and the rider can make the decision to ride it out or attempt to release while keeping the bike pointed appropriately. Front lockups are recoverable as well, but there's much less time to get it right.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote