View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #6
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by az3200 View Post
In regards to your first paragraph I quoted, why am I going to do this? Is this to make sure the chain didn't jump a tooth? And what if it did? how do I remedy that? If it lines up the way you describe, Does that mean that the chain is in proper place on the sprockets?
Yes, its a test to see if you jumped a tooth. If it did, you just have to jump it back the other way. No big deal to do it right. If the IN and EX line up right, then you're good.

Quote:
I've had the CCT off twice yesterday. The parts themselves seem to be fine, the bearing looked ok, and the two springs looked to be in good condition also. When I placed the CCT housing back on the engine, I tightened the two bolts a little, then released the little screw. I heard the "cling" so it sounds like it engaged.

I do have to admit the first time I played with the CCT 2 days ago i re installed it incorrectly and rode about a 80 round trip throughout the day. I was unable to loosen that little retaining screw when I tried putting it back together. I was unaware of the importance of this so i just pushed the plunger and spring in, with it stopping on the screw instead of the top of the housing. sh*t...
I doubt you did any permanent damage. But the mechanism (see my video) can get stuck when the bike gets older. You just have to work it free as described above.

Quote:
I really hope I didn't ruin this cam chain. Doesn't sound like a quick job to replace.
If its still in one piece, then you didn't break it. The chain is pretty tough.

Quote:
How do I go about measuring the chain like you described?
Count a certain number of links between the two cam sprockets. Always count that same number - whatever it is. Measure the length with a caliper. Write it down and rotate the crank a little bit. Repeat until you get all the way around the chain. It might also be useful to tie a little piece of thread at your starting link so you know when you've gone all the way around. You are looking for noticeable differences in the length between the same number of links at different positions on the chain. Then with a little math, you can extrapolate to figure out if your chain is out of spec according to the manual.

I have never heard of a cam chain breaking on this engine, but they will stretch. I think when you hit 50K miles, you are supposed to change them regardless.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.