Thread: Oil Level
View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:22 PM   #1
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Oil Level

I have a question about oil level, for some of you folks more experienced with doing your own maintenance. My 300 has about 5700 miles on it, so I have nearly 2000 miles to go before my next scheduled oil change. The break-in service was done for free, so I let the dealership do it. But I was just doing a walk-around today when I got home, and decided to hold the bike upright to check the oil level (since I just took a fairly long trip). The sight glass barely showed any oil. So, even though I had come home fairly recently and so the bike was warm, I went ahead and got the keys, ran it for a couple minutes, shut it down, and checked again. As you can see in the pic, the oil is right at the bottom line.

I assume I should add some oil to make it to the 7500mi check-up, but I don't know what kind the dealership used. That probably needs to be matched, right?

Also, should I be concerned that it's that low, 2000mi before its due for a change? I just did a 1300mi trip, and I do commute in DC, so maybe those conditions explain the use? I have never seen any puddles or anything.

I appreciate any advice you all have!

I have no idea why that pic uploaded upside-down!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (57.0 KB, 21 views)
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote