View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #33
Gregular
Not on the rug... man

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Diablo Black Ninja 250r, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
I purchased these mirrors and am waiting for them to arrive and for my bike to get back from the repair shop after my little accident.... was curious on if any resistors had to be added for the signals to operate properly?

I also plan on putting on standard flush mounts to replace the broken signal on my bike.
It kinda depends.... you may need resistors. The more you change over to LED, the more likely you will need resistors. The good news is they aren't expensive :-)
I can only speak for my setup, LED rear, LED flush and LED mirrors and the resistors (a pair for left and right at the rear and a pair for left and right at the front) - by removing an indicator and/or resistor I'd get varying results. for example removing both indicators from one side at the front would increase the flash rate on both sides and the side which still had a full compliment of indicators would ghost flash at the rear if the opposite side was indicating
another example was during my initial setup - stock bulbs at the front (no LED mirrors yet) and after installing the LED rears, I noticed that even with resistors nothing would flash as I'd stripped the bike down and had the front's disconnected. Connected the stock front indicators back up and all worked well.
As a little tip for the flush indicators, I highly recommend getting some that can still be seen from the front.
My flush sit inside the hole left after removing the stock front so can only be seen from the side and I was relying on the the LED mirrors to provide frontal indication.

BAD move!

During daytime the mirrors aren't bright enough and aren't front facing enough either. At least with the position I have them set in (which I'm guessing wouldn't be that different from most people) they kinda point down a bit. and I've had a number of instances now when someone pulls across the junction from a minor road blocking me from turning right even though I have right of way and my indicators on in plenty of time.
I've also noticed that if I'm indicating to turn and stuck behind a car I can't see the LED mirror indicator reflecting off the rear of the car. See the pic below

These should only be considered as suplementary front indicators and I have bought another pair of flush to stick on the front as a result of too many people not seeing me indicate right (I drive on the left) during the day.

hope this helps

Last futzed with by Gregular; June 28th, 2009 at 10:36 AM.
Gregular is offline   Reply With Quote