View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:21 AM   #1
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Went 150/60/ZR17....

Ok, so I've been wanting to try out a 150 on my ninja 250R just to see what it would be like, and after reading the posts from folks that have done it...went for it.

I chose the Michelin Pilot Road CT2 150/60/ZR17 tire.

First off, I dont know what crack the 150 proponants are smoking, but a 150 most definitely is not a "no clearance issues" tire for the 08 and later 250R.

Yes, you can install it, and yes it will work.

However, you are left with a baseball card thickness worth of clearance between the tire and the chain guard, and more importantly...between the tire and the right side of the swing arm.

Now...

Is that enough clearance to run it. Yes, provided you watch your tire alignment and air pressure religiously. After running this tire on my 250, through a rather hot run in the twisties, where I deliberately tried to get the tire to flex as much as possible, there are absolutely NO signs of any contact at the tight spots. I'm running 40psi in the rear to keep it nice and stiff. If you prefer lower air pressures for stunting, etc., it might be a possibility the tire will flex and make contact in the tight spots. IDK.

Now...as far as how it changes the handling of the bike.
Personally, I love it.

Gone is the "twitchy in the wind" feeling on the interstate. The bike tracks like its on rails, and is much easier to maintain your intended line through the corners. In addition, since its a radial dual compound EXTREMELY sticky rear tire, it hooks into corners like a dream and drives out of the exits with authority. As far as "loss of flickability"...I'm not seeing it. The bike still corners just as well as it did before, what I notice is less of the oversteer/understeer constant line correction that was necessary with the stock 130 rubber band that is normally used, instead I now have a very smooth instinctive "go where I point it" feel in the corners. To be honest....this is what should have been on the bike from the factory in my opinion.

Here is my set up...
Front tire. Michelin Pilot Power 120/70/17 - at 30psi
Rear tire. Michelin Pilot Road CT2 150/60/ZR17 - at 40psi - rear shock on "3"
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote