View Single Post
Old June 9th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #10
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

I have a bone to pick with Craftsman, as they are moving more of their production to China, and more and more, you don't get the made in America quality. If I want cheap Chinese junk, I buy Harbor Freight, not Craftsman, so it pissed me off when I bought some Craftsman and didn't get made in America.

If you can't afford top quality, like Mac or Snap on, true American Craftsman does tend to be pretty good. Lowe's and Home Depot have their store brands, Kobalt and Husky, both of which I have some of and have subjected to large amounts of abuse and they hold up, and I believe they also have a lifetime replacement warranty. In my opinion, just as good as Craftsman. I have more experience with Husky, but I spent months using a 3/8ths inch drive ratchet with a huge cheater bar to do dozens of tire changes, and never damaged the tools.

Be careful with Harbor freight. Some of their stuff is perfectly good. I use their impact sockets, which hold up very well, as well as their breaker bars. I also use some of their ratchets, but only the "professional" ones, which run almost the price of higher quality brand tools.

The cheaper sockets and ratchets are junk, along with their screwdrivers, and most other drivers. Don't buy them. They have the warranty, but when the soft steel flexes, and strips the head of the fastener you are working on, the warranty only cover the tool, not the piece that now needs to be drilled out, which can often be difficult or highly impractical. Especially don't use their stuff on stuff that really matters. Using their tools to pull off your fairings, fine, using their tools to work on your engine, someone ought to slap the stupid out of you.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote