View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #122
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by FvnnyL3tt3r1ng View Post
N4mwd- I looked for the info on reading your crankcase to match it with the bearings in the service manual but I came up with nothing. Do you know where to find the info?
Page 8-5 and page 8-14. Note the marks are in ink and not stamped. The crankcase has to be matched with the crankshaft and harmonic balancer using the appropriate bearings ($10/each half X 10 halves). The crankshaft and harmonic balancer also have markings but you obviously can't see those right now.

Getting a case with identical markings doesn't guarantee you wont need new bearings, it just improves your odds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FvnnyL3tt3r1ng View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110970784222...84.m1436.l2649

Hows that look? Granted it's the right model?
I don't see anything wrong with it. I also noticed that it has the bearings still installed - that's a plus but nothing to party over. The first photo shows the checkerboard where the marks should be. The squares will either ha e a dot or not. I don't see any dots, but the bearings are already there. If your bike has no dots, then its a match. Remember the dots are like paint or ink or something like that. They are not stamped.

But before you go this route, I would personally remove your engine and split the case to see if there are any more surprises if it was my bike.

Based on what we know, it doesn't sound like there was a valve - piston impact or a serious timing error. That's good. But you do know the chain was messed up so that's $60 for a new one. And if it turns out the crank is messed up in any way, it has to be replaced because they cannot be repaired.

The guy that is selling the whole engine is just up the road - well within head smashing distance if it comes to that. I would ask him if he would give you a discount if you pick it up in person. This is something you should consider if you want a faster solution to the problem.

But if you just want a learning experience then replacing the case is the way to go. Once you have the case and your engine out, you can bring them over here and I'll put it on my stand and we'll swap all the parts to the new case.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.