View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2013, 02:21 AM   #1
chef
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 1965 Honda S90 , 2010 Ninja 250,2012 Vespa LX 150(Yes,a vespa!)

Electrical problems

After actually seeing my bike from behind at night,i recognized how invisible i really was with the LED under tail & blinkers so decided to install a Yoshimura fender eliminator & utilize the stock blinkers,should have been an easy fix.
In my last post a lot of things were clarified that using front flush LEDS & rear stock blinkers,there would be no need for the diode install.
Upon removal of the undertail & rear LEDs i found that the shop had twist wired 2 additional sockets with bulbs wrapped in tape,these would lash the same as the rear LEDS,only hidden under the seat.
I assume these were installed as a makeshift "diode mod" ( Correct ?)
Installed the Yoshi fender elim kit & connected all the wires back to the original connectors & everything works fine.
( Flash speed is constant with both front flush LEDS & rear stock signals.)
Here is where the problem arises...angel eyes/HID are installed directly to the battery with an inline blade fuse which melted after installing the stock rear signals.my family took it back to the shop & installed a new fuse & yesterday was the first time to ride.
Daytime riding with the running lights has not caused a problem but 5 minutes into the ride home last night,the headlights went out again...angel eyes still on....the entire 20 km trip home the lights would intermittently come on & go off again UNTIL just a few km from home i was greeted by the sweet smell of burning electrical cables!!!!! I could feel the heat just under the fairing where the fuse is installed,turned off the headlights & continued home slowly.
The fuse is melted ! The connection to the fuse block is melted ! The inside of the fuse block is melted !
Has removing this backyard "diode mod" created more current due to removing the LEDS & installing stock signals?
My brother in law went to the shop today & they just installed a new fuse & holder which i am sure will have the same result next time i use the lights at night.
The fuse that burned last night was 15 amp(blue,& installed inline with the HID/angel eye)
What should be my list of things to test?
chef is offline   Reply With Quote