View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #1605
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
But didn't he say he had the screws backed out as far as they could go? That would imply that they aren't sufficient for high altitude use.
I did have the screws backed out as far as they could go but I think if I adjusted the throttle plates to open a little, I could "close" the idle air screws more and be perfect at sea level so that closed is starting at 0... maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
But even still, it wouldn't work with our bikes. Cars and factory bikes have some kind of mechanism to increase the air flow in high altitude areas because lowering the fuel flow is not always an option due to the mechanical limits of the injectors and the fact that you don't want it to idle too slow.

I'm wondering if Setasi has even done that trip with a carbed Ninja 250 and what the results were.
That's exactly the issue. Even if you got the perfect fuel ratio by lowering the fuel flow, you might still end up with a low idle and/or not enough power to stay idling. Doesnt quite change the situation.

I have not done the trip with carbs but Jiggles said that his 250 with pods (major cause) has a ton of trouble idling up on mt hamilton @ around 4000ft so who knows what would happen with carbs. Also, his BMW during this trip on certain occasions had a couple stalls because of elevation so it's possible that either way I might have some issues. I do think that if I had carbs, I could easily adjust the idle speed screw and be fine though since it essentially opens up the throttle plate and not have had too much of a problem. Hence my idea of swapping it out for a thumb screw.