View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #114
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
Because motorcyclist can get bad head injuries and the insurance companies or the hospital ERs must pay for it. Simple solution:No helmet means your insurance is not responsible for you.
Makes perfect sense to me. Rather than a law to enforce seat belts or helmets, maybe have a law that limits how much an insurance company must pay and also forfeit their right to sue the other driver who caused the wreck.

But one thing that is a problem is that sometimes EMT's will remove a biker's helmet at the crash scene and it goes to the wrecker yard with the bike rather than to the hospital with the biker. Then the biker gets blamed for causing his own injuries for not wearing a helmet when in fact he was.

I think everyone should wear a helmet (or a seat belt in a car), but I'm absolutely opposed to personal safety mandates. That's just government with its thumb up your...

Quote:
The politicians say people under 21's brains aren't fully developed and they will make bad decisions... OK, then don't let them vote and don't hold them responsible for crimes they commit. My point is that you either ARE or you AREN'T responsible for yourself. If they draw the line in the sand at 18, fine, make it 18 for EVERYTHING.
Again, another good point. Maybe make it 19 for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Girl Rides View Post
Wanted to touch base with that point; I have worked in a hospital for 3 years. YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE the amount of accidents we get in who don't have insurance or if they do we still end up eating MOST of the bill.
What kind of accidents? With car accidents, even if they don't have health insurance, the hospital eventually gets paid from the car insurance people. This can take years sometimes, and that isn't fair to the hospital, but they do get paid eventually. All cars are required to have no-fault insurance.

In Florida, because of the law, a biker who rides WITH a helmet does not have to have insurance at all, so ironically, the helmeted riders are more of a burden to the hospitals.