Thread: Cornering Rpms
View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
1) 4000-4500 rpm is where the CDI ramps up the ignition angle. That's likely not helping your cause.

2) ...that said, you're a novice rider. Don't take this the wrong way, but you likely need to work on smooth throttle control, especially on corner entry. Heck, most riders who have been riding for years still need to work on their corner entry throttle. You should be able to have a fairly smooth throttle anywhere above 5k without too much finesse required. Alex mentioned 11k for corners. He's a racer and a natural on a bike, so his suggestion might not be valid for your question. Since you're just on a street taking a corner that slow, I'd take it in 2nd at 6k (or whatever rpm that is) and execute a nice smooth roll-on.

Typically around town, I'll make turns at 6-7k. That's a nice easy rpm that is pretty smooth. Moderate power to keep the bike stable in a roll-on without being up at 11k+. For back roads, I'll enter corners at 9k, where the bike is really smooth and has good response to throttle. At the track, I'll enter around 11k (or wherever it feels right. Typically it's screaming here) and smoothly apply a quick roll-on.

Noticing a trend in my post? It's all about smoothness on the throttle. Learn to make smooth roll-on's and you'll notice these little herky jerky moments will happen less frequently.

3) all that said, you might also want to look into raising your needle height a little via shimming them up with 1-2 washers. They're SAE#4 washers, and they're about 3mm ID, 6mm OD and about 0.5mm thick. There's plenty of info on that here, just search "shimming the carb needles" and you should be able to pull up a few threads on that. It really helps the mid-throttle range on these bikes by delivering a little more fuel. That helps a ton with smoothing things out as far as fuel delivery is concerned.

I mentioned the jetting last, because so many people are so quick to suggest hardware being at fault and modifications being NEEDED to correct them. From my experience, most times the fix needed is not with the hardware, it's with the sack of meat and bones sitting at the controls.

Hope this helps a bit, sorry for the essay. Welcome to the site Mitch! Glad you're asking for help
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.