View Single Post
Old July 29th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #10
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I'll mention here again what Jason Pridmore / Star School teaches about downshifting.

He says blipping the throttle is an awesome technique. But A LOT of people end up screwing up hard braking because of it himself included. What he does instead of blipping throttle is:

When you start rolling off the throttle, you already start your downshifts. Like, IMMEDIATELY.

What this does is exactly what you achieve by blipping the throttle. He's already on really high rpms. So no need to "match rpms" You're already there! This gives you a lot of engine brake so you can brake way later too.

Clutchside, important thing is to not pull it ALL THE WAY. but half distance from the bar. Also not letting go fast. You almost "feed" it back like you would on a race start.

Watch him below. Notice how he IMMEDIATELY shifts down once he's starting to roll off the throttle (he's done shifting before he even let's off all of the throttle)

Link to original page on YouTube.

PS: I'm not sure if you're practicing this on street or track though. Obviously on the street it's harder to apply the technique I mentioned above as you don't always ride close to redline revs so you might HAVE TO blip. Anyway.

Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote