View Single Post
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:20 AM   #34
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post

Close to 50% of 250 riders will drop their bikes within the first year of ownership.
I can see how this could happen. I had a Yamaha 650 twin in the 80s, and got my current Ninja ZZR250 last December, without having ridden for over 20 years. So, I was almost a new rider on the Ninja - a different kind of "horse" to the Yamaha 650, like a Thoroughbred compared to a Warmblood, maybe, especially on high RPM (the Yamaha torques best around ~5000 RPM as I recall vs the Ninja's 11,000). And since I began riding the Ninja, I could have wiped out at least 3 times.

The first time was applying too much throttle on a tight curve, and the rear tire momentarily broke loose.

The second time was downshifting too fast and popping the clutch too sharply, and the rear end also momentarily let go.

The third time was 2-up in a sharp curve, when I took it too fast, and the center-stand scraped hard.

Under a competent rider, the Ninja 250 is a perfectly stable and predictable platform, but overestimating ability and underestimating protection could at least cost you the fairing, and huge patches of your skin, if not anything deeper, including your pride. Kelly's father's day gift could save your life.

AM
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote