View Single Post
Old June 23rd, 2009, 06:48 AM   #59
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Eh, I'm indifferent on this issue - if someone wants to ride in a T-shirt, let them - no need to be gear Nazi's about it. Most of the people on this forum who choose to "squid", know the consequences of not wearing race leathers, etc. and these posts won't change a thing- like someone stated above, responsible riders who choose not to gear up ALL the time are putting themselves at risk as a personal choice.
I generally agree with you on this, and this is typically the stance I take with the whole squid vs ATGATT issue, but I do see and appreciate the need for this type of thread....especially on a forum like this. Ninjette.org is one of the better forums I've ever been on, and it is also more likely to have a whole slew of beginner riders on it. Some of them may simply be going squid due to a lack of understanding or appreciation of how serious the consequences of not riding with gear can be.

I don't think it was Kelly's intent to lecture the more experienced riders and start a whole debate about personal choice vs. the "right" thing to do. If you've been riding for 'X' number of years and you feel that riding around in nothing but a helmet is justified, then more power to you. However, as a new rider, with NO experience to base your decisions on, threads like this can make a world of difference. This is all part of the experience really....and how can a newb make an informed, personal decision, without any prior experience?

It's best to start out overly cautious, make your mistakes with the right gear on, and if, after a while, you feel that you want to ditch all the safety equipment and ride around in a t-shirt and shorts with your friends, despite everything you've learned up until that point about injuries and etc....then so be it. It's better than just starting off the wrong way because "everyone else is doing it".

Just my 2 cents...
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote