View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #19
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah Allen head screws. The kind that you use a hex key to turn. They're much easier to use without worry of stripping. And they don't strip the threads in the carbs either... You should never be putting that much torque on anything in the carbs.

There's no better or worse for how you actually take the needles out. Both work just fine. My point in posting was that if you've not done both ways, you can't say that one is harder because you don't know. Yes, even if you work on the carbs on a table, you can still strip the stock screws easily. They're very soft and they're jis instead of Phillips. Between 3 sets of carbs from 3 separate bikes. A handful of screws have stripped or disformed just from loosening them. None of my Allen screws have given me any issues through my jetting changes using a bench and/or doing it on the bike. This includes the caps, bowls, and throttle bracket.

Hex head screws are a much better option for someone who plans to be in the carbs and doesn't want to worry about stripping anything. Plus it's about $10 to replace them.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote