View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #58
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold to jerrytheclown!) 2006 Yamaha FZ6

True, one thing to factor up in Angeles Crest....there was no signal, basically had to wait for paramedics to arrive. I'm sure if i was in that situation where the guy needed help from underneath a car, i would jump on that, but where we were in the canyons with no signal at all and cars coming in quickly we didn't want to risk anyone else. This video only shows the beginning but we did all go to him to make sure everything was okay with him. I have taken cpr for personal gain, but it seems like he didn't need it. We told him not to move around and just to stay down and not move much. I don't believe I ignored him as the video only grabbed the beginning. I can't really ignore a victim since working at the airport for the baggage handling system, accidents always happen, but this was something new to me. Also being the rider who was leading everyone and for one of my guys to crash shocked me a lot, I mean how would you feel if you were leading and one of your riders got into a bad crash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Then maybe you guys should take some basic first aid courses.

You don't have to move an accident victim, but you should at least check his ABC's. A=Airway, B=Breathing, C=Circulation. And sometimes that means moving him. Was he conscious? Was he breathing? Did he have a pulse? Anything broken or bleeding? Even if you don't know what to do, you can call 911 and they will tell you what to do.

Too many times, bikers die because people on the scene just sit there and watch him die rather than try to help.

A few years ago, there were two identical biker accidents within a week of each other. One was in New York and the other was in Utah. The bikers were both run over by a dumb broad not looking where she was going. Both bikers were trapped under the cars.

The Utah biker's bike burst into flames. The New York biker's bike did not.

The witnesses in Utah ganged up and actually lifted the car off the biker and pulled him to safety. The New York witnesses whipped out there cell phones and video recorded the biker's face as he tried to gasp for air to post on Youtube.

The New York biker died because he wasn't able to breathe with a car sitting on his chest. A simple act of jacking the car up would have probably saved his life.

I've heard many people say not to move an accident victim unless there is a fire, but that is bullsh!t. If the biker can't breathe or is otherwise in imminent danger, then move him if he needs to be moved.

Next time, don't ignore an accident victim.
alanmv567 is offline   Reply With Quote