Old August 18th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/NewBike.html

Scroll down.. it's the bottom half of the page.

Eddie, I did this, to the letter except that the first critical oil change came at about 80 miles because that's how far I had to go to get home.

The first few miles of this procedure, where you run for awhile, stop and wait a few minutes, then run again and stop again, I just did around town. Then I hopped on the freeway and rode home. That was a bit of a hassle because you want to avoid steady speeds, but it's not that big a deal.

I'd already bought oil and a filter, so when I got home I immediately rolled the bike into the shop and drained the oil. It was pearly… full of metal flakes. I'm a believer in this procedure now.

Second change came with 500-600 miles on the bike… basically the factory first service.

I made an effort to vary engine speed a lot for the first 1000 miles and avoided lugging. After that I just started riding normally.

I'm now approaching 3000 and will probably just wait until the end of the season to do the next change. I always put the bike up for the winter with fresh oil in it.

By the way… make sure you go over the bike thoroughly before you sign off. My GSXR was a new leftover, two model years old. Apparently the service department had been cannibalizing small parts off of it. It was missing a bar end, a fairing brace and the owner's manual. They made it all right without hassle, but I had to call them on it.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote