Thread: The widowmaker
View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:48 PM   #21
wingman358
ninjette.org newbie

Name: CJ

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

In my opinion the best self-defense on the street is a combination of:
  • Imagining that everyone is intentionally trying to kill me - cagers' behavior makes a lot more sense this way. Makes me drive more defensively and helps me anticipate drivers doing stupid ****.
  • Practicing emergency braking regularly (every time I go out). Basically I try to see if I can pull a stoppie. This also gets my blood/adrenaline flowing and recalibrates my minimum stopping distance "gauge". Also gives me a reminder of just how hard I can hit the brakes while also giving a feel for the current traction. I wonder if it warms up the tires slightly also.
  • Doing a brake cover anytime an oncoming driver looks like they might be about to make a left turn in front of me. I also watch their front wheels - are they turned already? Are they still rolling?
  • Making eye contact with other drivers, or at least just watching their eyes - do they see me? Do they seem oblivious to everyone else on the road?
  • Wearing high-visibility gear. I always make sure to wear something that will stick out from the environment, be it bright red, police neon (I wear a "Scotch Brite" jacket at night and for extended trips), etc. Basically anything thats not dark, gray, or bland.
wingman358 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.