View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #24
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Empirically I'd say it tightens the line, because when I get way down (chest actually in contact with the inside edge of the tank) the bike seems to "want" to turn. I'm thinking that's really just me perceiving it as being more stable. For sure it feels more solid and confidence-inspiring.

Now… why? Not sure. Maybe it's because I'm reducing the moment arm so the bike can rotate around the longitudinal axis more easily. Maybe it's because I'm locating my body more positively, locking it onto the bike so I'm not unconsciously fighting it. Maybe it's both, or something else.

What situations… I'm thinking in too fast and/or decreasing radius. Any situation where you need to tighten your line.

I really need to get to the track. It's almost impossible to find a corner near me where I can experiment with this stuff. Seems there's always a car right in front of me, forcing me to go around the corner as if I were on a Vespa.

Right, it tightens the line, hence the name "hook turn." what happens is that when you get your body down and forward the bike kind of hooks in and pulls a tighter line. The benefits of this technique is that you can tighten your line WITHOUT adding lean angle. this is a HUGE benefit if you find yourself running a little wide but are already at maxed lean angle.

In too fast or decreasing radius turns are excellent situations to use the hook turn.

Now, how does it work? Why would the line tighten (without adding lean angle) when your move your body forward and down?

Misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote