View Single Post
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #56
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Hey Matt and @Misti, would you mind explaining the change in position a little more in detail?

I ask you because it doesn't make sense to me (Physics-wise) and I would like to learn more about the position from which you are bringing your upper body forward and down.

In other words: You are cornering while normally hanging-off, with your upper-body in line with the bike and your inner leg out (your upper body is forward and down already, isn't it?).
Suddenly, you discover that it is a hook turn, and then..................?
No steering or counter-steering, the bike just follows the reduced radius?
As we explain at CSS, the hook turn is a slight movement of the upper body forward and down. So, yes you are already in a turn hanging off with your upper body inline with your bike, and your leg out. Your upper body is forward and down already but when we want to get the bike to hook a little you move your body further forward and down.

The key here is that when you get in your hang off position you don't want to be stretched out hanging off and as far forward and down as possible. You want to be in a good cornering position with a little reserve left to be able to lower your upper body MORE if you encounter the need to tighten your line a little without adding extra lean angle. The forward and down motion does not add input into the bars or change the lean angle of the bike. I'll see if I can dig up pics that show the differences in body position.

Misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.