View Single Post
Old June 27th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #13
shortstuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Stacey

Motorcycle(s): 08 250

Quick update--

I ordered the fork seals through the dealership that I do like, picked up some 5w fork oil, and spent the day today replacing the seals. We were surprised at how easy it is to do; you don't really need any special tools or things out of the ordinary. It is, however, a bit time consuming if you're doing it for the first time.

A few observations though:

1) The little rubber bumpers on that the lower fairing screws thread into were in horrible shape, and the bike is barely a year old. One fell off in the removal process, and the other two broke off when I put it back on. If I have to pull off the fairing again I'll be needing to replace these.

2) When we pulled off the dust caps, we realized that the two of them were quite different. One was a matte black, and the other had the shiny glean of new plastic. We think the leaking fork had been replaced before, but it must have been a crap job because it was leaking again. Just a theory though.

3) We think we found the culprit of the leak-- a good-sized scratch on the interior of the lower cylinder which is circled in the photo. There was a small chunk of metal on the copper bushing, which we think is what caused the scratch and subsequently the leaking. We used steel wool to smooth out both pieces, and hopefully that will solve the problem. Otherwise I'll need to replace those two parts (which cost quite a bit more than the oil seal)

Word to the wise-- if you're doing this on your own, make sure you take the time to do it slow and do it right! I will be posting up a DIY as soon as I get the pictures sized.
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote