View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #92
The_big_dill
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 1987 Ninja 250 custom gold

Spent the day after school today and put the bike together properly once and for all...

Valves adjusted, carbs clean, strong spark on both plugs, fuel flowing through petcock, plenty of gasoline, battery running strong.

Crank, crank, crank... and it still does not want to start. At one point it did stumble for maybe 1 or 2 revolutions and then died again.

After the plenty of cranking with different amounts of choke and throttle, i decided to pull out the plugs and see if they are fouling. The left plug (cylinder 1) was fouled (Black) while the right one (cylinder 2) was clean.

Here is my train of thought:

The first time i pulled apart the carbs before this season, i was not able to get the pilot jets off. After putting it back, i had to adjust the idle mixture screw for cylinder 1 carb and pull it way out (very rich) to compensate for the (I suspect) clogged pilot. Now that i did clean the pilots, there is plenty of fuel flowing and is far too rich for cylinder 1 to ignite any mixture, fouling the plug.

So this brings me to an important question:

If one of the cylinders cannot ignite the mixture, will the engine be able to start up on just one cylinder?

Should i screw both of those idle mixture screws all the way back in and re-adjust the idles? or should i just play around with the one thats way too rich? Any other suggestions on what i can check?
The_big_dill is offline   Reply With Quote