View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #8
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

In the car world when you dona 180 and stop its called a J turn. If you want to show off at a group meeting point I've done the lock the rear tire and turn then stop. Just ask @anacron and @tfkrocks how I abuse the rear brake and tire in the dirt

You need to make it predictable so you don't drop the bike. Here's how I would do it.

While slowing down with the front or both brakes slow to about 15ish mph. Maybe 20 I don't know how fast I'm going to be honest. Pull in clutch and don't let go until stopped and into position. The engine will stop if you don't pull in the clutch and of you need to give it gas or let out the clutch the bike will still be in gear and it will be like having the brake on.

While still going straight or before input lock the rear tire. As soon as it locks start turning the bars into the direction you want to be facing. Depending on how fast and how much steering you add you may have to counter steer. Not the counter steer like what you do at speed the counter steering into the direction of the slide to prevent the bike from turning too far from sliding.

No matter what once the rear is locked DO NOT get off the rear brake. If you get the bike sideways and let go the force from the rear tire regaining traction will pop you straight up and probably spit you off or you'll lose grip and have the bike fall on you.

You won't look quite as cool as the movies. But locking the rear while turning the bike is not very predictable unless you've done it a couple 100 times. Once the rear is locked in a straight line the turning movements will create a slower transition from straight to sideways. You'll just have to be a bit more deliberate with your body and steering.

Leaning with the bike while doing this makes the rear step out farther. Staying on top will provide more predictable rear slides but will make it harder for the tail to rotate. So then more/quicker steering will get the desired angle. It takes practice. Remember the good stunt guys all practice that stuff and their bikes are torn up for a reason. You're going to crash while learning.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote