View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #26
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Keep dreaming. If I stop at a light with my road bike, there's <10 lbs on the front wheel. It would be awesome if they made something like that, but that would be way too sensitive (and hard to calibrate so it didn't trigger the light randomly) and too expensive to ever be feasible.

An M box that triggers with ~100 lbs (for motorcycles) might be feasible. But it still sounds expensive.
Huh? My assumption was that everyone here knows how the light sensors work. They are just metal detectors and have nothing to do with weight. The grooves in the road have wire loops that make the metal detector. The purpose of the M-box is to have a specific area where the lines are more numerous and concentrated. So to add an M-box to a light, they just have to cut a few extra grooves. The only bicycles that wouldn't have a chance would be exotic ones with non-metalic (carbon fiber, etc) rims. But that problem would be solved for those people if they wear steel toed boots and just put their foot down on that box.

So the additional cost is negligible. If they are already cutting grooves, a few more won't cost that much. That, plus maybe an ounce of road paint.