View Single Post
Old September 20th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #100
The_big_dill
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 1987 Ninja 250 custom gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Fumes? There should be no fumes and very little air movement when you suck on the petcock vacuum port. All it does is pull the valve open so the gas will flow. Once it opens, you can plug the tube with your tongue and it will still flow as long as there is still a vacuum in the line.

I forget if it was already mentioned in this thread, but the diaphragms on the top of the carbs are sacred. Don't let them come into contact with any type of carb or parts cleaner. If they are greasy, you can wash them in Dawn dishwashing liquid and let them air dry.

Try starting with the choke off and WOT. See if anything hits.
Well i gave it a thought, and realized the wrong end of the hose was on... I thought i needed to create a vacuum in the carbs for some reason. My excuse is 4.5 hours of sleep a night this week.

I have heard of how expensive these diaphragms are, and i do take extra care with them. They are the first thing that comes off the carb when i take the carb off the bike, i am even scared to flip the carb or put it on its side as i don't want any gas to get on it. I think your choice of word "Sacred" was perfect, put a smile on my face

I will try putting it back together again today. I had another thought, could the side to side crankshaft play have anything to do with it? It is more audible now, after all the work i did on it. At the risk of sounding stupid, is there any easy way to try and tighten it? I feel like maybe it may have come loose after i got the timing wrong and was pushing on the valves.
The_big_dill is offline   Reply With Quote