View Single Post
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #13
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
How hard do you ride your 250? After five months, I'd wager "not very." If you're confident really pushing the Ninjette, then you should be able to manage a supersport well. But if you're not riding it hard enough to really feel it come alive, then upgrading is a bit of a waste.

You could well find yourself uncomfortable and fearful, afraid of the bike's power. It could hold you back in your learning. These things are very potent but they demand respect.

There is a lot of truth to his pithy point.

On the flip side. I'll do you a favor and give you my perspective on your question and a little street riding philosophies if you will.

So the only 600 I've ridden was a 2006 R6. Supposedly these have a peaky power delivery compared to other 600s. Regardless the best way to describe the power under 8k RPMs is like a ninja 250 near redline and full throttle. On the 600 roll the throttle wide open at 4 or 5k and the bike accelerates but it isn't rip your arms off violent. The bike will build power in a way that feels exponential over the 15k rpm rev range. anything under 7 or 8k it feels like the fastest tuned ninja 250. after 10k the bike starts moving. 13 or 11k and up the bike is fooking fast. They aren't torque monsters so they won't wheelie away and kill you unless you try. Meaning the power wheelies, or the rear sliding out is very dependent on rider inputs. I'm not saying they are slow, it's just compared to what. A v twin 1000 will stand up at low rpm, and the 1000 inline 4s are just fast everywhere, period.

This girl I went on a riding date with recently showed me her second bike, a Ducati 848 Evo. She started on an 05 R6 about 6 months ago. She is slow, she knows it, she doesn't care. She never even took the r6 to redline. For the first month she never even realized it was ok to rev the bike past 8k. She cruises in the twisty stuff and wanted a bike that looks and sounds badass. If it's for street riding, who cares what it is? All these guys who have fast bikes aren't banging out all 6 gears at red line or dragging knees everywhere. Self preservation and the LEO will prevent a rider from using 80 percent of the bike's potential on the street. You'll most likely ride it like your 250. Except people will dig your bike and it'll sound cool.

I'm not going to judge anyone for wanting a cool sport bike. I'm also not going to give you the ok that it'll be easy or just like I say to ride one. I don't know you. At 5 months into my street riding career, I probably could hop on a 600 and go really fast. Or you could be someone who is very cautious or slow when it comes to learning and be totally uncomfortable with the performance. My 50 cents.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote