View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #144
The_big_dill
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 1987 Ninja 250 custom gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
The cam sprockets and chain are identical to the pregen. So you can probably buy a new set of cams on ebay pretty cheap. Then a new chain from the dealer. The cams are a little different, but I think the new ones are just ground better.

Still, you have to wonder just why your chain stretched. If it stretched.

When you start into it this winter, pull off the clutch cover and see if the chain guard is still around the chain where it goes around the crankshaft. If its not there, it means that at some point, someone overtorqued the rockers and destroyed the engine. Part of the problem is that it stretches the cam chain and breaks that guide off. Another thing is that without the guide there, the cam chain is going to be a little floppy.

The good thing is that it also means that you wont have to split the engine to change the cam chain if the guide isn't there.
Good info, but if i am going to take the cylinder head off, i might as well do a full engine rebuild, dont you think?

Also, Why would i change the cams?

If i am getting a new chain, i have to get new sprokets, no two ways about that.

The bike has always been this way, I don't know if i mentioned it to you before, but i am the 15th owner on this beauty.

I see many half ass jobs done all around the bike. Missing bolts, dented tank, fairings were repaired, but what got me the most was that the idle mixture screw cylinder was just glued on, it wasn't sturdy, it was moving around... I took it off and JB welded it, hold much better now.
The_big_dill is offline   Reply With Quote