Old September 26th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #149
The_big_dill
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 1987 Ninja 250 custom gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You are every welcome, Phil

I have been very happy hearing the exhaust notes of that beauty.

Now, may I ask how did you make it happen?
Very good question, and i was wondering that myself.

What happened was that when i checked the timing, everything was synchronized, which kinda upset me as i was at a dead end. Next what i did was that while i had the valve cover off, i put some starting fluid down the spark plug hole. I then put the plugs back in place and loosely attached the ignition coils to the frame. I went to crank and nothing. Put the spare car battery to crank and still nothing. At my disappointment i kept cranking it for a good 10 seconds (i never go over 4-5 as its no good for the starter), at which point i started hearing that the cranking is getting easier/faster, so i gave her a break. Then went to crank again, and she finally started... WITH THE VALVE COVER OFF!

Although oil went everywhere, i was kinda happy that the bike finally started
i turned it off quickly and wanted to see if that was just the starting fluid, and this time it ran a bit better, but now everything was covered in oil, lol.

Over the several times i took it apart and put it back together i cleaned all the surfaces where the cam and cam caps sit. But this is the only thing that comes to mind, and is a very unlikely reason why it did not start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
That's nuts. How on earth did they do that? Drop it maybe? Target practice?
Anyhow, the engine sounds really good, so the carbs seem fine as long as it doesn't come loose.

It makes total sense to change the cam sprockets when you change the chain. I've never heard of it done on a Ninja, but its common practice with other engines.
Your guess is as good as mine, only they fixed it with some glue that was very rubberized.

I am glad to hear it from the pros

If only the ticking disappeared... Wishful thinking i guess :\

Have you ever heard long time results of a ninja with a new cam chain?
The_big_dill is offline   Reply With Quote