View Single Post
Old September 28th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #31
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Quote:
You're in the back of a van traveling at 30 mph. That's right. ONLY 30 mph.

Go to the side door and slide it open. Crouch on the running board. Look at the asphalt going by, about 18 inches below you, at a nice, sedate 30 mph.

Now roll out of the van onto the pavement. Picture in as much detail as you can what will happen next. If you're realistic, it will involve a lot of pain, blood and lost skin.

That is EXACTLY what will happen to you if you low side. Only if you low side, you might be going a lot more than 30 mph.
To be perfectly honest I am very tempted to try this at low speed wearing full gear. Assuming that there wasn't anything to collide with -- it would be a very interesting experience.

Any real reason not to? Apart from bodily harm --- is it possible that a helmet impact would damage the helmet to the point where it would not be safe to use anymore?

Only reason I ask, is because I've had quite a few 'get-offs' trying to slide a skateboard around a turn -- very similar fall to a low side wash out.

EDIT -- I wear 2011 alpinestars apex pant, smx-plus boots, and a wife-beater. Yeah, gotta fix that last bit.
corksil is offline   Reply With Quote