View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #9
RacerX113
ninjette.org member

Name: Doug

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Thruxton, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZapp View Post
yah, i guess thats what i'm suggesting. admittedly i havent been around road racing long enough to know exactly what "formula" means but it sound like it opens the door for certain mods. is there any precedent for this sort of class structure?

if the ESS class stays the same, then how do new guys get in - buy "old" bikes? i realize the SV650 twin class is extremely popular even though the bike has been obsolete for a while, but the difference is there was never a replacement offered (no SV700 for example) so the class remained, with no changes needed.

do you think that the racings orgs will drag their feet for a while (i hope so), or will they get pressure to update (from who?)? i can tell you that last year American Honda was offering serious cash for wins in our local racing series (like 700 for 1st) so they must be looking at amatuer racing to help promote their bikes - they might be interested in seeing this happen sooner than later.
There are plenty of existing 250 race bikes available and used/crashed 250s to turn into race bikes for anyone looking into getting into racing. You can buy a competive race ready 250 for under $3000 or do what I did and find a good deal on a minor crash one and build it yourself. I think I have about $3000 in mine. I think that is one of the reasons the SV class was so pobular, you could go race with minimal investment.

If the 300s are allowed in the same class then you would need to buy one at 5000 + 1500 in race parts and it gets a little pricey, and makes the affordable 250 obsolete.

Now if Kawasaki decides it wants to follow Honda and start offering that kind of money, it would draw some really fast guys and the average Joe would most likely still be paying more to race.

I think the 300 would be a blast to race and a better platform than the 250, I'm just cheap.
RacerX113 is offline   Reply With Quote