View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #23
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I've had the uber-cool Axio Swift 2.0, which I sold practically unused, and I currently use my Axio tank bag in backpack mode.

Here's what I've learned:

1) Lots of pockets and dividers are counterproductive. An empty sack with one little pouch for loose change and such is far more useful. The Axio Swift had so many dividers that it was almost useless unless you were carrying a laptop, a few file folders and lunch.

2) Loose strap ends like you'll find on non-motorcycle packs are a PITA because they flap in the wind.

3) You really need something you can adjust/cinch up while wearing leathers, helmet and gloves. It's almost impossible to get into a pack's shoulder straps with gear on unless the straps are way loose... then you need to tighten them. Non-motorcycle packs, and a lot of riding-specific packs, are not like this.

4) So-called "aero" design is BS. A pack is going to ride in the bubble of turbulent air behind you anyway. It looks cool, but that's about it.

For now my Axio tank bag worn as a backpack does the trick on everything except the cinching/adjusting part. There it's marginal.

I'm thinking Kriega R25 for my next pack because it addresses every one of these issues.
This is a really nice alternative to the much sought after Ogio backpacks.

Also, what's up with many of the bags being recommended? The repeating features seem to be a sternum strap, waist strap, laptop sleeve, weather proof, and to some, slightly slanted to be somewhat aerodynamic.

If you look hard enough, there are plenty of backpacks that are like that and are sold at a fraction of a cost. The catch? They're sold as regular packs, not "motorcycle" backpacks.

EDIT: Yes, I know some are made with the consideration of the user and his leather gear so that it's easier to put on and put off but come on now...For starters, here's one by Overboard: http://www.amazon.com/OverBoard-Wate.../dp/B001FOQT4Q