View Single Post
Old July 1st, 2009, 05:25 AM   #146
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
I said it in the other thread but since this is the official discussion here, my Ninja got the overheating cdi issue. However I only noticed it ONCE and it was when it was very hot and humid outside, (over 30celcius). My bike is out of warrenty. It sucks but it's not a big issue for me since it's rarely that hot here...Ironicaly my vacuum cleaner overheated the same day, ROFL.

Banzai: It might be a better solution to change the location of the CDI. Modifications to the wires would enable you to put in in a location with constant airflow instead of stuck inside the tail!

I hear ya! Life conspires against us every day!

I'm down to a purely indication problem, so I'm leaving mine alone. My long term plan is to get one of the aftermarket semi-programable units from overseas and try that out.

I have been emailing quite a few people lately who have been using them and they all report that they have no issues in their rain and heat and humidity with the aftermarket units in the stock location........so that only makes me more sure that Kawi spec'd crappy chips in their CDI units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
This was one thing I was considering doing by moving it near the front of the radiator. Then you run into the potential problem of water entering the ignitor.

Also, those who have the problem and have removed the air box, might be able to fashion a ram air setup to force air into the tail section. I think that would create a flow of air over and out. Thoughts?

I probably should just let the dealer correct mine, since I have the 4 year Kawi Good Times Warranty after the standard 1 year one.
My GOD, man! Go get Kawi to give you a new part (if you can stand the shop and their time line)! It's what you paid for with that warranty. On the other hand, if you're ONLY getting an indication issue (like mine) then you have to decide if it really matters to you.

I would point out that unless each and every one with this issue reports it to Kawi and forces a fix, it won't get fixed until the current run of parts runs dry and they do a spec upgrade and don't have to pay to fix the rest of the broken bikes out there. They hide behind "Specifications subject to change without notice".

As to a ram scoop, sounds like a neat idea, but you'll still be getting air from through the radiator and across the hot engine, and you still need somewhere for it to go once it goes under the seat and into the tail. Pretty tight area under the seat for duct work, too, as the CDI is pretty much right under your butt by the trunk lock.