Old October 27th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #21
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvonler View Post
Hey, I'm working on it. My frustration in the beginner group comes because I don't get to run any clean laps where I can really string all the corners together.

Not sure if you think I'm spreading "misinformation" - I don't claim 250s are any kind of ultimate machine. I do claim that in the hands of someone that can't reach the absolute limits of grip, they will have an easier time at a given corner speed on a lighter machine.

And on braking markers, I really don't know what you mean. Higher speeds and heavier machines require earlier braking points.
Imagine a corner has a hard braking zones with for example 5 braking markers from 1 cone first to 5 cones as you get farther into the corner. Now if the big bikes are using the 1st marker at 130mph and your using the 4th marker at 90mph then yes you are braking later on the track. But if someone on a big bike limited their top speed to only 90mph then they could go past the 4th marker and get closer to the 5th marker because the braking power to weight ratio is better on the big bikes.

But here's the one that will get most people because they've never ridden both bike to the limit. So I can corner both my R6 and 250 through said corner at 50 mph within a couple mph. On the 250 I use the 4th braking marker from a top speed of 95mph while on the R6 I use the 2nd braking marker from a top speed of 150mph. On the R6 while on the brakes I pass by the 4th braking marker at 105mph while continuing to slow down to 50 mph. If your still following me then technically the R6 is getting on the brakes early on the track but is braking later then the 250.

It's rare to have this happen perfectly but if a 250 and 600 with comparable riders both reach their respective braking markers at the same time. You'll see the 600 catch the 250 going into the corner but because the 250 was 60' or so ahead the 600 wont be able to pass. Now if you swapped the ninja 250 with a RS125 then everything is different because the weight to braking power swings in favor of the 125.

Most of this honestly doesn't apply to trackdays because unless their happens to be a true pro class racer there just killing time I doubt anyone is able to push any of the bike to their limits so it come down to ride more then bike.

I hope at least some of that makes sense
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.