View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #1
ninja12345
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Wendy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

stalls sometimes when applying throttle

Hello everyone. I had my 2008 ninja 250r for 1.5 years now. I bought it at about 4000 miles and it has about 4900 miles now. I did about 70% of the riding this year. The last time I rode was about 2 months ago. I have not done any type of maintenance on the bike since I bought it. I have crashed it once and damaged the fairings.

I am in the air force and leaving for a deployment for 6 months, so today, I decided to start up the bike to put in some stabil in it. It took more than 30 minutes on choke and still couldn't get the bike to its usual idle without stalling, around 1500(never paid attention before, but defintely lower than 2000) . That was the first sign that something was wrong. Rode it around and it keeps stalling when it went below 2000. had to keep the choke on 2500-3000 for it not to stall. Eventually it didn't stall at 1500 anymore, but a lot of times when I apply the throttle the rpm fell and engine shut off. It seems that if it is around 2500-3000 it is OK. When it is OK around 1500, apply throttle, it goes up and stays up and goes down slowly. Played around with the carb adjuster, 1300-2000, it is about the same. I am not very mechanically inclined and will definitely get a mechanic to fix this.

What I want to know,is this a serious problem, is this is something I take to the mechanic right away? or can I wait until 6 months later. I was planning to just put Stabil in and just leave the battery charger on while I was gone. Is it crucial to change the oil now, or can it wait until I get back as well. Thanks everyone for reading.
ninja12345 is offline   Reply With Quote