View Single Post
Old July 1st, 2009, 09:59 AM   #53
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

I think both brakes offer more braking...

If you are skilled enough, and alert enough, to use both to their maximum.

I'm no noob, and I'm not sure I'm good enough, even when I'm fully alert...to use both to max effectiveness. I use the front brake only in probably 85% of braking events.

I think this all depends on the rider.

I ride with the front brake 'covered' with two fingers about 95% of the time. Some will say that's a bad habit 'cause I won't get maximum braking without using all four fingers.

FOR ME, I am willing to trade max braking for quicker braking...but I don't really ride in traffic, and rarely over 55. My main concerns are animals, and road debris around blind corners.

I BELIEVE braking sooner is more important FOR ME than max braking power. Additionally, I don't 'cover' the rear brake, so most braking events are over before I get around to touching it.

There are two areas where I do think using both brake is the better option--
Loose wet, or otherwise slippery surfaces
Downhill braking

In my very limited dirt-riding experience, I learned quickly the dangers of using the front brake on loose surfaces. If one wheel is gonna slip--you want it to be the back. On dirt (and tell me if I'm wrong) my braking is done hard on the back and modulated on the front.

Hard downhill braking is something at which I have tons of experience: I ride down a 6000foor/25 mile grade 4-5 times a week. I wear out front tires faster than rear tires!! (and average about 5000 miles on a front Kenda)

I have found that using both brakes in these situations is critical to maintaining both wheels planted. Additionally, going downhill into a hair pin with only the front brake on can get that back tire 'skimming' which is not good.

To summarize my view on this,
I think it is best to focus on using both brakes all the time, so that when the time comes to do some serious slowing down, you are able to get the most out of both brakes.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote