View Single Post
Old July 1st, 2009, 12:18 PM   #61
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
This is terrifying. If it hasn't put you on the ground already, I fear it's only a matter of time. If you are already leaned over in a corner and for whatever reason feel it's necessary to begin braking (even though 99% of the time, adding any brake at all at that point is unnecessary and counterproductive), the absolute last thing one would want to do is add any significant pressure to the rear brake alone. It's exactly what you'd want to do if you are in fact trying to lose traction on the rear of the bike and slide it around as a technique or for fun. Fun at very slow speeds on loose surfaces. Useful at very high speeds on racetracks by highly skilled racers making their bike as wide as possible to counter passing attempts. But other than that, it's just not a good idea at all.
I've done that on the 250, slide the back going into a turn. Did it at the track during a parade lap. It was either that or run off the track. I took my chances and pulled it off. Of course I was going INTO a turn, and not in the middle of one. Once you have that bike leaned over, you should actually be rolling on the throttle, not slowing down. You want to maintain that 40/60 (front/back) weight distribution in the corner, or your suspension goes to crap in a heartbeat.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote